Returned from an incredible time of serving with a great mission team and an incredible church/group of believers in the UK early yesterday. After a few hours of sleep...and a much needed shower, haha, I walked outside and was unmercifully slammed in the face with at least 100% humidity (isn't it possible to be 100% plus during Mississippi summers?) Being the type of person who doesn't believe in wading into pools, cold rivers/lakes/creeks, I jumped head first into reality. Very enjoyable lunch/conversation with my wife I missed so much this trip, couple of hours in my office, teaching my fitness class (yes, I killed em but was trying to hide the fact I was struggling!), and then off to the softball field for a couple of games with my church teams (Men's & Co-Ed).
The reality of "adult" softball, and I think it serves as an allegory for the culture to which I've lept back into, hit me as hard as the humidity. Plenty of bad attitudes, foul mouths, immature actions on full display by some "adult" players and our men's team forfeited. Apparently some of our guys either thought the game was rained out, didn't want to play in the rain (just kidding guys), or too many had to work or were on vacation. The humidity was excruciatingly high after a passing rain storm and caused me to think about the SPLENDID weather we'd had during our 10 days in the UK. Coupled with the poor behavior I was observing, I pondered why I was I even there.
But, then our Co-Ed team...a team of friends, fellow church members who are faithfully serving the Lord in various ways, took the field and for an hour it all seemed worth it. Sure it was humid and I know I was not at the top of my game due to all the travel (and I'm old!), but I was greatly encouraged and God reminded me of something. As we follow Christ and desperately desire to represent Him to people who, honestly, are often difficult to love we will get frustrated, disillusioned, and simply feel like the sojourners in a foreign land that God says we actually are. For an hour, we encouraged and played hard for one another and the team, and actually won! Post game, we invited the other team to pray with us and I lifted up the name of Jesus/prayed for the souls of all gathered in our sweaty post game circle. Walking to my truck post game, soaking wet, tired and muddy, I realized this is what faithfully serving the Lord looks like. It's draining, puts us into direct contact with an unredeemed culture, it's frustrating, but ultimately should be so fulfilling, especially when done in community with others. I reminded my England mission team that the key to allowing God to transform us through our opportunity to serve in the UK was to adapt our thoughts, our lives to the concept of living each day "on mission," incoporating a desire to be difference makers for the sake of the Gospel in the various contexts we daily engage in. I just wish I could change this heat and humidity!
Heaven won't be made up of the Famous and Glorious... It'll be full of those that left it all on the field for him.
ReplyDeleteThose that turned the average day into glorifying God in whatever way they can.
Just wish I was better at it!
John M back in the UK