Catalyst...I love this word! Whether used in the field of chemistry or in our lives, a catalyst is an element, a substance, an event, or a person that causes change. Lots of us think about change during January of every year. Seems most of the conversations among my friends and others I've overheard or eavesdropped on lately have been about eating healthier, working out more, getting finances in order...all connected to the New Year's Resolution mindset that is contagious the first 2-3 weeks of every new year. What are some of the catalysts for these desired changes? In the area of finances, the fallout of an out of control Christmas gift buying binge, too many Saturdays tailgating at football games, or (in my region of the US) a malady that infects some of us each year during the late fall/winter months known as Buck Fever has our budgets and bank accounts in disarray. But, the most common New Year's Resolution conversations center on getting healthier...in the kitchen, the gym or both.
What are the catalysts for getting in shape/losing weight? Some of the most common are: clothes not fitting like we want....during the holidays, they get a little, or a lot tighter than they were in the summer! don't like what we see in the mirror! just don't feel good or good about myself, or, I'm trying to impress/attract, even keep a significant other or a spouse happy. While all of these are catalysts for getting healthier and in better shape, are they ultimately catalysts that matter and are sustainable? Clothes go out of style(some need to hear what I'm saying here), eventually we age and outgrow certain fashion trends (some REALLY need to hear what I'm saying here!). Ultimately, even the mirror and the people we try to impress/keep or make happy just aren't impressed with how we look. People change, their eyes often lose appreciation for us over time and the mirror? It can just get on our nerves, can't it?
I wanted to share my catalyst for taking better care of myself physically. I'm a believer and a servant of Jesus Christ. I believe my number one priority in life is to serve Christ and that all other areas in my life...wife, family, finances, health, friends, ministry, church, activities, recreational pursuits, etc. should be enriched by my relationship with Him as well as how I serve Him and others. From time to time in the past, my average, even poor physical conditioning limited my effectiveness in serving Christ and others. I believe the writers of Scripture communicate to us a desire God has for us to be healthy, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
"I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul." 3 John 1:2
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31
"...for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." 1 Tim. 4:8
There are certainly others, but these communicate a thought that our healthiness is a concern of God's.
So the question that we need to ask is, "How/Why does my physical health matter in terms of my life, eternity, and with the people whose life mine touches?" If we have committed our lives to Christ, we are now His and ultimately will answer to Him as to how we treat/use our bodies in service to Him and others. A healthy lifestyle/body increases our productivity for the kingdom of God. In terms of impacting eternity and the lives of those our lives touch, training our bodies to serve God to our greatest potential is a catalyst that will never disappoint, never get old, stuck in a rut, or seem mundane. When I finally GOT this personally, it gave my workouts, eating healthier, and even going to the doctor (Ugh!) a higher purpose that drives me to desire the most out of myself. I hope this resonates with anyone who takes the time to read, but more importantly, I hope those who read either know or take time to seek out who Christ is and how He can transform your life. I would love to talk with you about how Christ can transform your life. I'd love the opportunity to help transform your body. I take great joy in administering "transformation" ,,,spiritually AND physically! hahaha.

No comments:
Post a Comment